Friday, July 31, 2009

The Happy Backyard Organic Gardener


Behind me to the left is a vermicompost bin which houses red wiggler worms ( see my earlier post on vermicomposting and 6 easy steps to your new worm bin). The worms eat most of our organic food scraps and in return supply a rich compost. It is amazing how much they eat and how fast the reproduce! The compost can either be spread throughout the garden, or brewed into an aerobic or living nutrient tea which is used as a foliar or soil drench.
All healthy, organic and packed with nutrients - Rainbow Chard, Red Bell Pepper, Baby Japanese Eggplants, Aunt Gertie's German Gold Tomatoes, and some large Cukes!

The Corn in the front was planted about a month ago in Earth Boxes and is already about 6ft tall, it is just starting to flower! The garden I am standing in was made out of about 20 cinder blocks and built into a small slope.The cinder blocks are planted with herbs, beneficial flowers and succulents. The bed was prepared with a drainage leading away from the garden. It is outfitted with two aeration tubes as well as a drip system.

I filled the bed using Garden and Bloome Soil Building Compost, peat moss, perlite, worm castings, bat guano, coco peat and chunk, dolomite lime for ph and natural soil from the yard. For added calcium I also supplemented the soil with ground oyster shell. I have found that this helps the peppers, eggplants, cucumbers, and tomatoes to not drop their flowers once the start blooming. I fertilize with aerobic tea made from worm castings, humic acid, and added beneficial bacteria. I may also add either high nitrogen or high phosphorous/potassium bat guano depending on whether I am fertilizing for blooms or leaf development. I foliar and soil drench with sea kelp extract. When transplanting, I use Plant Success and a small amount of Bradfield organics fertilizer.
Everything used is organic - After all, I eat this stuff and surf down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment